Monday, April 20, 2009

History of Project

At first, even considering creating a short film that’s spoken entirely in French seemed more of a risk than a feasible project.  After all, I’m not fluent in French and Los Angeles doesn’t exactly look like Paris.  However, when you think about it, when does art ever come easy?

After watching Julian Schnabel’s Diving Bell and the Butterfly, inspiration quickly transitioned into ambition and the thirst for creating something meaningful, as well as visually evocative, has never been so strong.  By the way, Julian Schnabel isn’t fluent in French either ;).

The story idea emerged after a close friend revealed the hesitations behind her long-term relationship.  She didn’t feel like she could offer anything else to the already faltering relationship and didn’t know how to tell him – she simply fell out of love. 

I knew my friend wasn’t alone in this love stricken society.  The city was filled with people going through the same feelings and emotions.  Therefore, I decided to take a survey.  I asked many close friends, old friends, acquaintances, coworkers, and family members a mere question: What goes through your mind the moment you decide you don’t love someone anymore? 

There had to be a “disconnect” from being “head over heels” in love to an absence of that feeling.  Through this research, I discovered that the small tics were the catalyst behind many failed relationships.  Certain irritations that once seemed insignificant transitioned into a noticeable force behind the break up. 

However, that being said, a surprising realization occurred.  From the 20-30 people I interviewed, one fact remained the same – they all revealed that they still love their significant other.  The love they shared was undoubtedly true.  It’ll always be true.  They just weren’t in love with them anymore.

Life is filled with unexpected instances.  However, an overall purpose is always waiting to be discovered through the seeps of the cracks.  Even if the relationship didn’t work out, the love never truly disappears.  It may not be necessarily palpable, but it’s true.  That’s my intention with this film.  That’s my story.

An image board used to express the feel and look of the project.

1 comment:

  1. As someone who just went through a breakup, this post is as close to the truth as it gets. The person I was with fell out of love with me, and had started to disconnect herself emotionally from me so subtly I didn't realize it until it was at the point when she wanted to move out. Ultimately, even 2 months away from it, I realize that she was right and that our love had run it's course, but it didn't make it any less sad and tragic. Thanks for putting it so eloquently.

    ReplyDelete